Conditions and Guidance Notes
1. You are responsible for making the necessary arrangements in advance with the Superintendent Registrar for the County of Rutland; for ensuring that the arrangements for and the content of the ceremony meet with their prior approval, and for paying the Registrar's fees when due. The Registrar can be contacted on 01572 758370.
2. You are responsible for paying in advance the charges due to the Council for the use of the Castle. Your £230.00 (non-refundable deposit) payment secures your booking. In the event of prior cancellation of a ceremony, a cancellation charge is normally payable. More than 12 weeks before the ceremony date - no charge. Less than 12 weeks before the ceremony date - 50% of the full cost. Less than 72 hours prior to the ceremony date - 100% of the cost will be charged. Cancellation of a ceremony must be made in writing to: Linda Healey, Operations Manager, Oakham Library, Catmose Street, Oakham, Rutland LE15 6HW
3. You must ensure that all your arrangements comply with the legal conditions attached to the grant of approval for civil ceremonies to be held at the Castle. You are requested to ensure that the ceremony begins on time so that the Registrars can keep their other appointments.
4. Oakham Castle can seat up to 80, including those in the wedding party. You must take this into account when issuing invitations. We reserve the right to prevent any further admissions to the building if we have reason to think that the maximum occupancy number will be exceeded.
5. Your booking is for two hours, which allows half an hour before the ceremony for your guests to arrive, half an hour for the ceremony itself, and an hour for photographs. Photography must be completed and the premises vacated no later than an hour and a half after the scheduled start time. We reserve the right to make an additional charge for use of the venue if the event is not completed within the agreed booking time. If you think you will require more time for your ceremony, please contact the Operations Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 07920 782157.
6. Alcohol must not be served for an hour before or during a ceremony.
7. There are no facilities for the preparation of food or drink in the Castle. If this is something you do require, we do have an in-house caterer who can assist you with this. Please contact the Operations Manager, Linda Healey, who will put you in touch. There are also many local hotels and inns that offer excellent reception facilities.
8. Floral decorations may only be put in the Castle by prior arrangement with the Operations Manager, Linda Healey. The use of candles, other naked lights and balloons is not permitted. Guidance notes about floral arrangements will be enclosed with the acknowledgement of your booking.
9. The throwing of confetti in the Castle grounds is only allowed if the materials are biodegradable.
10. Civil ceremonies are open to members of the public, whether invited or not. Please note that the Castle will remain open to the public and there will therefore be public access to any ceremony of marriage held there.
11. Parking in the Castle grounds is limited to official wedding cars (i.e. partners, attendants, photographer, musician(s), Registrar), and for disabled guests, up to a maximum of eight vehicles. For safety reasons, access to Castle Lane, the gateway, and the main entrance must not be obstructed. Pay-and-display public car parks are available within easy walking distance.
12. On market days (Wednesdays, Saturdays and occasional Sundays) vehicle access to Castle Lane is via Market Street only. Stallholders are required to leave the route clear.
13. The sales desk at the Castle will suspend operations whilst ceremonies are taking place. The café will observe a quiet time during the ceremony.
14. You are responsible for ensuring that any rights of copyright for music, readings etc., permitted at the ceremony are obtained and for paying any due copyright fees. You are also responsible for any arrangements regarding the performance of live or recorded music and for providing the necessary equipment by prior agreement with the Operations Manager, Linda Healey. The Council accepts no responsibility for any equipment brought onto the premises.
15. Formal and informal photographs may be taken inside the Great Hall and/or in the grounds. No photographs or videos may be published without the prior permission of Rutland County Council, other than those accompanying press accounts of the event. You should consult the Superintendent Registrar about taking photographs and video or digital recordings of the ceremony itself.
16. You are responsible for indemnifying the County Council against all claims, liabilities, actions, costs, damages or expenses howsoever caused arising out of or in connection with the ceremony.
17. The Council will make every effort to ensure that arrangements will be as described and booked, but can accept no responsibility in the event of cancellation due to circumstances beyond its control.
18. To make the payment of the deposit, please contact the Operations Manager, Linda Healey. If you encounter difficulties, please telephone 01572 722577 and give details of what the payment is for and use your surname and date of your ceremony as a reference. Please obtain a receipt number and enter it on the enclosed payment section or email it to email@example.com.